Jeffery Cathey - US Navy - Tampa, FL
Education and Training:
Civic Activities and Contributions:
Awards and Honors :
- George W. Bush Institute Military Service Initiative: on the ground floor since 2013 to work with President and Mrs. Bush on veteran issues of employment, leadership, and the invisible wounds of war. Panelist and judge for "Stand-To Leadership" series. Keynote speaker at USO Fort Carson event with President Bush in 2016.
- Numerous meetings in Washington, DC with members of Congress, Committees on Veteran Affairs, Housing Policy Council, and Consumer Finance Protection Bureau (CFPB) Office of Servicemember Affairs on Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) and financial barriers for active duty service-members.
- Decade-long partner and guest speaker with Student Veterans of America for the 1.1 million veterans on 1400 college campuses using the Gl Bill.
- Decade-long partner and speaker for Jacksonville-based Wounded Warrior Project on employment and financial literacy.
- Decade-long partner with 100,000 Jobs Mission and the Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF) in Syracuse, NY; best in class for women veterans, employment, entrepreneurship, veteran-owned businesses, and leadership.
- Eight-year partnership with Center for a New American Security (CNAS), a leading Washington, DC think tank. Led Bank of America underwriting to support CNAS Studies on women in the military, national philanthropic support, and County Veteran Service Office (CVSO) structure across Florida and the country.
- Led Bank of America's efforts to produce seventy-five mentors under American Corporate Partners (ACP) for transitioning service men and women and their spouses. Meetings in Washington, DC with Second Lady Pence and Kellyanne Conway.
- Ensured Bank of America participation in DoD's Military Spouse Employment Partnership (MSEP) for combatting high unemployment rates for spouses.
- Original member with US Chamber of Commerce's Hire Our Heroes and their efforts with "Skill Bridge" and employment for active duty transitioning soldiers and sailors and military spouses.
- Member of Veteran Employment and Military Spouse Employment Advisory Councils.
- Worked with White House's Joining Forces Initiative for employment, education, and housing solutions under the Obama Administration.
- Collaborated with Secretary Robert Wilkie and the Veterans Administration and US Chamber of Commerce on PREVENTS (President's Roadmap to Empower Veterans and End a National Tragedy of Suicide); Bank of America was a lead signatory to the Pledge in Washington, DC.
- National and local support of Special Operations Warrior Foundation who provide college scholarships to surviving children of fallen special forces members.
- National and local support for Southeastern Guide Dogs who provides service animals to physically and emotionally wounded veterans.
- National and local support for Team Red, White, and Blue who integrate the severely wounded back into society.
- Local support for national Women's Conference in Tampa focused on financial well-being for transitioning military service members.
- State support and partnership with Veterans Florida on employment and transition challenges; lead sponsor 2020 and 2021.
- State support for Florida Chamber Military and Defense Opportunities Summits in Orlando and St Petersburg, FL. Guest Speaker and panelist on financial and employment transition issues.
- Local support for Quantum Leap Farm who provide equine therapy for severely injured service men and women.
- Local support for Support Our Troops who provide comfort items and care packages for deployed service members.
- Tampa Theater presentation in 2014 with Wes Moore on "Coming Back" and the trials and barriers to re-integration to communities. Moderated by journalist Howard Altman.
- Local support and sponsorship for Medal of Honor Convention in Tampa 2019.
- Local and sponsorship support for DoD Warrior Games in Tampa 2019. Member of Leadership Tampa 2010 Class. Led subsequent classes onto MacDill AFB for "Military Day."
- Member of Leadership Florida 2016 Executive Class.
- Member Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce Military Affairs Council 2010-2013.
- Operation Homefront (San Antonio, TX) Board of Directors 2009-2014. Focus areas were transitional housing for medically retiring service members and their families, financial literacy, and emergency grants.
- Board Member of Association of Military Banks of America (AM BA) 2010- 2022 to support active-duty service men and women with their financial needs stateside and overseas.
- Collaborated with Veterans Administration (VA) and AMBA to structure the Veterans Banking Benefit Program (VBBP) to facilitate underbanked disabled veterans who were experiencing delays, fraud, and poor customer service with the US Treasury debit card program to deliver VA disability benefits.
- This began in 2018 and is now a Program of Record with the VA.
- Guest Speaker for Bank of America's national Student Leaders Program in Washington, DC for six years. Two hundred eighty (280) high schoolers convened in the nation's capital for one week to learn about democracy, the political process, freedom, and those who lead and defend it.
- I spoke on military service members' commitment, dedication, and sacrifice and prepared care packages for delivery to the DC National Guard Armory.
- American Veterans Center: speaker and moderator at National Archives focused on military history and those who have ensured America's freedom.
- Led panel with Felix Rodriguez (Bay of Pigs) and LtCol Cole, the last surviving Doolittle Raider. Audience composed of students of all military academies.
- Half day engagement in 2021 with SOCOM Commander General Rich Clark on bringing diverse talent into the services and retaining them.
Civic Activities and Contributions:
- Inaugural Vice Chair Mission United (United Way Suncoast) 2017-present.
- Presentation to Miami Chapter of Commerce under retired General Douglas Fraser 2016.
- University of Tampa Business School "Center for Leadership" Advisory Board Member 2011-present. Focus on growing Gen-Z leaders.
- Taught Leadership and Ethics to two MBA classes in 2016.
- Naval Aviation Museum Foundation (Pensacola, FL) Board of Directors 2020- present. Focus on STEM education, tourism, and history.
- Boys and Girls Club Board of Trustees 2019-present.
- Annual volunteer at Metropolitan Ministries
- Letter to Editor to Orlando Sentinel regarding civics and national service. Kaboom Playground: three builds at Boys and Girls Clubs site and MacDill AFB.
- Hillsborough Education Foundation board member and mentor at Middleton and Tampa Bay Tech high schools.
- Keynote Speaker for Veterans Day 2012 downtown Tampa.
- Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office (HCSO) Guest Speaker for 9/11 Fallen Heroes Memorial service 2014 with Sheriff Gee.
- Honorary HCSO Deputy Sheriff since 2014.
- Local support and bank sponsorship for Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) monthly dinners at VA Haley center with Leroy Collins and Central Command leadership.
- American Corporate Partners: served two years as mentor for transitioning service members.
- Current Little League umpire at Interbay Little League.
Awards and Honors :
- Hero at Work Award 2014 from Tampa Bay Business Journal for veteran employment results. Governor Rick Scott acknowledgement.
- 2013 Freedom Award from DoD for Bank of America's Employer Support for Guard and Reserve.
- Best for Vets: Bank of America #5 in the country 2021 for leading and executing the recruitment, retention, and career growth for newly hired veterans from all branches.
- Wounded Warrior Project Citizens Award 2016 in New York City.
- University of South Florida Leadership Award from Veterans Success in 2020.
- Regular and intimate engagement with all government agencies who encounter service men and women and their families—Department of Defense, Department of Labor, and the VA.
- Career long pursuit to connect policy and decision-making at the federal level with state governors, mayors, and the county VSO's.
- Family of seven moved to MacDill AFB 1958 after death of active-duty father. Resident of Florida for 64 years.
- Of six children, all but one (medical) joined the military or law enforcement.
- Jeff obtained his pilot's license while attending USF.
- Jeff initiated his own career by entering the recruiter's office in Tampa in 1979. He and his family were stationed in Pensacola and Jacksonville for 20 years.
- Military family, service oriented
- 29 years of service, 14 years military affairs
- global/national/state/community levels Regularly volunteers, totally engaged Helps people enter and exit the service
- Educates employers on the rich talent inherent in transitioning service members
- Helps Florida to be veteran ready